It’s time to eat your veggies… and like them (GASP)
Deciding to eat healthy is the easy part. Buying various groceries at the store, not that difficult either. Once you’re home staring at that head of cauliflower, you realize you have NO IDEA what to do!
You’ve probably tried eating vegetables raw. Maybe steamed. Perhaps you’ve had them sautéed at a restaurant. However, when it comes to prepping them yourself, you’re not sure where to begin.
Have no fear! I’m sharing my top veggie cookin’ tips so you can up the nutrient content to your meals and discover how to make vegetables taste as good fries.
3 Ways To Upgrade Your Veggies
Spice Up Your Life
- Lemon, Dill, + Mustard – This is my go-to combo for green beans
- Toss in Pesto – Awesome with zucchini or butternut squash noodles. Bitchin’ Pesto Sauce or Trader Joe’s Vegan Pesto are two delicious dairy free options that I use all the time.
- Bake with Parmesan – Sprinkle parmesan cheese over thinly sliced zucchini + roma tomato slices and bake until the cheese begins to brown.
- Trader Joe’s Everything But The Bagel Seasoning – Incredible on roasted vegetables!
- Balsamic Vinegar – Only the aged kind will do! Drizzle it on anything for a finishing touch or cook to let it thicken up a bit.
- Coconut Oil – Adds a bit of sweetness, love it with roasted squash.
- Cinnamon + Cayenne – The fun way to eat sweet potato fries.
- Herbs de Provence – Another good one to sprinkle on while cooking, especially on mushrooms.
- Smoked Paprika – I particularly use it for grilling.
- Chili Flakes or Wildbrine Sriracha – If you can handle the heat, go for it! I use to spice up my veggie based stir-fries
Roast Into My Belly
- There is something magical about roasting vegetables. They get infused with flavors and turn veggies basically into fries – don’t knock it before you try it. Roast a variety of veggies like eggplant, zucchini, onion, carrots, bell peppers, small potatoes, beets, and/or tomatoes by baking at 400 degrees ºF for 40-45 minutes. Coat in grape seed or avocado oil and a healthy dose of spices + sea salt and black pepper. You can’t go wrong.
- Veggies on their own (especially when raw) can be a bit bland. Have you ever attempted to gnaw on a plain piece of celery. Not that exciting, my friend. I present to you my favorite perfect veggie pairings: hummus, Trader Joe’s Vegan Pesto, guacamole, Kite Hill cream cheese, peanut butter, and salsa. You can’t lose with this healthy triad.
- Celery + Peanut Butter
- Red Bell Pepper + Kite Hill Cream Cheese
- Carrots + Vegan Pesto
- Jicama Sticks + Guacamole
- Zucchini Chips + Salsa
I love to eat, so I’m constantly thinking up new ways to make healthy food taste as good as French Fries (not even joking). Once you know how to make healthy satisfying swaps for the foods you crave you are no longer missing out! If you’d like additional guidance, contact me today for a free 15 minute consultation.